Energy Queensland Ltd, Training Centre – Cairns
The Energy Queensland Limited (EQL) Training Centre is Stage 1 of a strategic site redevelopment of the McLeod Street Depot in Cairns. The Training Centre is part of a training precinct to support EQL staff including apprentices for the diverse work activities undertaken.
The building is an adaptive re-use of the original steam power station for Cairns built in 1925. This building was subsequently converted to an electrical power station in 1950 before the recent reincarnation as a Training Centre. The architecture retains the original structure as a heritage feature within the building that incorporates technical trade training spaces, classrooms, meeting rooms and administrative support areas.